Running cable from ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys, I live in a flat (apartment) and i am fitting a fan in the bathroom. I have no access to the lighting circuit apart from at the ceiling rose. Can i run a cable from the rose (burying it in the plaster. How would i do this? Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do it providing:
There is a mains supply at the rose - not all have this. You can tell as there will be 2/3 wires present.
The fan dosen't overload the circuit - depend on how many lights are on it allready.
You fit an isolating switch to the fan.

Providing all it fine you need to fun a piece of 1 or 1.5mm2 T+E from the rose to the isolator then on to the fan. It should be connected to the power side of the rose. You can tell this from the swtich line as: one wire (noormally red) to the switch will run from the power lives (red) and the clack of this wire will be connected to the light. The fan neutral (black) can be connected to the other neutrals.
Hope this helps

3core and E 1.0mm/sq for a fan with timer over run.

Overload the lights? with a 4 inch axial fan?? Dont think so!!

Dont chase the whole ceiling out, there will be a void, even with a flat roof, the rafter will run in the same direction, and you can 'fish' the cable above the plasterboard, when a rafter gets in the way, jump under it, chasing the plasterboard enough to fluch the cable in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I'll try that and i might get back to you for further help!

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back