T&E outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully, this one needs little more than a yes/no answer :)

We have recently more-or-less done to death the matter of underground T&E (albeit there are some ongoing uncertainties about the actual answers). Remaining outdoors, but moving above ground, am I correct in interpreting the regs as still being happy with T&E outdoors, provided it is protected from light and, where necessary, mechanical or other damage (e..g. in conduit fixed to a wall)?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Providing the cable is protected correctly from it's environment T&E can be used outside.
Some of the considerations are mechanical damage, temperature, sunlight, plants/shrubs etc... and rodents.
But you do find a lot of T&E that has been installed outside, which has been there for years with no evidence of deterioration.

am I correct in interpreting the regs as still being happy with T&E outdoors, provided it is protected from light and, where necessary, mechanical or other damage (e..g. in conduit fixed to a wall)?

Kind Regards, John.

Yes

Sponsored Links
(e..g. in conduit fixed to a wall)?
Then why not use singles?
No particular reason (non-armoured was the main point to my question), apart from a bit of a cost advantage. I'd probably want to run a CPC conductor, even if the conduit were metal, so, per current TLC prices (excl. VAT):

• 100m 2.5mm² T&E = £49
    100m (2.5mm² blue + 2.5mm² brown + 1.5mm² G/Y) = £64
Another small advantage is that when the cable enters the house, or another building, and therefore no longer needs to be in conduit, if singles were used outside, there'd have to be some sort of box and terminations to convert the singles to T&E for indoors - which would represent further cost and effort.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back