T&G Chipboard screwed with drywall screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put down some 18mm water resistant chipboard over floorboards in the lounge/kitchen to provide a flat stable sub floor for laminate flooring.

All is well, the T&G's glued and the perimeter of the boards screwed with chipboard screws.

I have a box of a collated drywall screws designed for use on plasterboard/wood

So the question is:-

Would these screws be ok to finish off the job?

I'm aware there are collated chipboard screws but I have a box of 1000 screws over.

Here is the type of screw I have:-
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-313617/...-screws-for-drywall-to-wood-applications.html

Sponsored Links
35mm not long enough. General rule of thumb with any screw is 1/3 : 2/3
where 1/3 is thickness of the material being fixed. So for your 18mm a 50mm screw is just below minimum; although I can see the attraction of wizzing around with an autoscrewdriver but I wouldn't use drywall screws in a floor installation. Splash out on a box of decent screws.

By way of an update ....

The drywall screws were a no-go. Reason: The heads sheer off, they just cant handle the density of the chipboard/floorboard.

I ended up using 50mm good quality self drilling wood screws. I probably went a bit over-board on the qty of screws but it took me hours(not collated) to do about 35m2. More than once I wished I could detach my legs and hang'em up while I shifted around on my a$$.

Anyway, job done .... solid, flat, secure and most importantly NO Squeaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back