T-Slot Guide/Sled, lubricant for the Slide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I expecting a trend straight edge (100")
https://www.trend-uk.com/vjs-g-100-varijig-system-straight-guide-2-54-metre
to arrive tomorrow (Friday 8th Oct) , and their Saw guide & Router Guide are £30 each , and it looks like something I could very easily quite a few youtube videos for Slid on Tracksaw guide rails (Peter Millard)
Anyway
I have some old threshold hardwood scrap and planned to use that using my son-in-laws table saw to cut to size
so a piece of timber will drop into the T slot on the Straightedge and run the length.

Would you use some sort of lubricant , soap ? or will the hardwood just run in the T-Slot OK

I had hoped T-slots were some sort of industrial standard size but seems everyone makes there own size!!! and hence can charge silly money for any acessories to use the T-Slot

I have the Tech Drawing from trend - and their solt is 7mm deep , 8.2mm wide and then the T is 2.2mm high, need to work out its width - but i guess around 10mm

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't know about the lubricant.
But I do know there is a decent range of rectangular and square M4 flat nuts that may fit in the t-slot.
Is it possible to post the drawing and we could help confirm the sizes?

thanks for the verfast reply
The dimensions are here , but they need to be calculated to get the T-Solt

I have a small jpg i made up for the wood jig

Attachments

• Varijig Alloy Profile drg.pdf
    542.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Tracksaw Jig.jpg
    Tracksaw Jig.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Thanks , I looked at those yesterday for some stops - did not think to use those as the Slide
I assume they should slide the length of the 2.5m OK, Its mainly to be used when cutting down 8x4 sheets - and i really cannot justify the cost of a track saw.

It could be worth a go for a couple of pounds, and like you said, they can probably be used for stops if it doesn't work.
Some chamfering of the edges may help them slide.
It still might be worth asking the suppliers if they have a full set of dimensions though :)

Thanks , i have the exact size now - based on the drawing, so i will wait till i get the straight edge in my hands and then i can use a venier to check

The slot is 13.1mm wide - so they show as 10mm so maybe a little bit sloppy in there

Thanks for all the help - I have contacted the ebay seller see what they say

No, i was thinking of making the jig from wood - hadnt thought the T-nuts would be ver good to use with a router/saw guide
after your post had a quick look I saw on FFX they were something like £1.50 each , which i thought was high price - wasn't sure if they fitted t-slot or for the joining slot - was going to talk to trend.
But orginally i was going to use wood and just have a length on a slide to go the length of the wood, like a tracksaw/plungesaw

Thanks for the link , i called them and they dont have in stock plus £10+vat delivery
But useful to know

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back