Table lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday found me starting to do the first fix wiring to my house.

I am introducing some table lamp/floor lamp sockets that can be switched at the wall as with the ceiling lights.

I have wired 1.5mm, the wall socket will be a round 3 pin, I have them daisy chained on the same circuit as downstairs lighting. on a 6 amp fuse.

all Ok????

Sponsored Links
As long as the total 6amp is not exceeded then yes. We do a lot of wall switched lamps as you are.

Yep. 1.0mm would have done.

I prefer the neat looking 2amp versions, but 5amp versions fine too.

Make sure you get sockets with shuttered pins - some cheapy ones don't have them.

Sponsored Links
Posts above are irrelevant - neither Scoby nor Lectrician are your electrician.

What does he say?

You've replaced a CU, and are now rewiring your house - are you doing all this with no involvement by an electrician?

What did you tell your council would be the way you would comply with part P of the Building Regulations?

Running cable is not anyones buisness but mine!!!!

If i then want to energise them, well thats different. would need to have them checked first...possibly by a part P electrician.

Don't forget safe cable routes in walls and floors and 30mA RCD protection for buried cable is likely to be required.

Running cable is not anyones buisness but mine!!!!
Wrong.

If i then want to energise them, well thats different. would need to have them checked first...possibly by a part P electrician.
Describe how you think the process of having them checked, possibly by a Part P electrician (sic) would work, and how it enables you to comply with the law requiring you to have obtained Building Regulations approval before you started changing CUs and installing cables.

Yep. 1.0mm would have done.

I prefer the neat looking 2amp versions, but 5amp versions fine too.

Make sure you get sockets with shuttered pins - some cheapy ones don't have them.

and plugs with sleeved pins are required for domestic use now. They're not for commercial and round-pin is still widely used in theatres

Cmon BAS

Legislation, whilst never to be ignored, is best dealt with by determining what the legislation is there to prevent, then up your game to comply with its ethos.

Doing a domestic first fix, as you will know is pretty basic stuff.
even changing the CU again is very basic.

Keeping building control happy is also quite easy.

Dont think you would find 1 fault with wormanship, materials,

Cmon BAS

Legislation, whilst never to be ignored, is best dealt with by determining what the legislation is there to prevent, then up your game to comply with its ethos.
And by complying with what it actually requires you to do.

If you know everything you need to know about design and construction it is.

Ditto, plus testing.

Indeed it is - you either apply for approval in advance or you have the work done by someone who can self-certify compliance.

Nothing else will keep them happy.

Which did you do?

That's not the point - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/regulation/12/made

Not really. There are hundreds of regulations you need to comply with, from what size and type of cable to use, how and where to run cables, even where to drill the holes for the cables.

Again, not really.

Just for starters, you need to be able to determine and check the earthing supply before you start. You need to work out what type and size circuit breakers to install, and calculate the circuit Zs is not going to exceed the maximum permitted values for the type of device you've selected.

Not to mention how to isolate the supply to the CU.

Providing you notify them BEFORE you start any work.

I'd put my house on it that I would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back