Tado installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0673.PNG
Have an old Danfoss 102 timer unit, I'm swapping it out for the Tado extension kit. Just looking at the wiring... so in 3, what's the black wire for?

Sponsored Links
Hi PartonPresley and welcome to the forum.

The Danfoss 102 was commonly used for older style systems where the hot water cylinder was heated by gravity circulation, and only the central heating was pumped. This layout means that there is only the possibility to have:

1. Hot water on
2. Hot water and central heating on

In other words it is not possible to have just the central heating on without the hot water being on also.

If so based on your photograph and assuming the above is correct:

The right cable (with the cut off black wire) will be the mains supply
The central cable goes to the pump
The left cable (with the black wire in terminal 3) goes to the boiler

The black wire in terminal 3 is connected to a permanent live connection, (Because Terminal 3 is also linked to terminal L) and it appears to be in the same cable as the wire to terminal 1 which is the switched supply to the boiler, so I would expect the black wire to be a permanent live to the boiler. This should be easy to check at the boiler wiring terminals. If so, it will need to remain connected to a permanent live as it is now.

If you do have the gravity hot water / pumped central heating arrangement, I would suggest that you check this with Tado before proceeding. Tado may not be suitable for your system as their specification only mentions suitability for Y, S & W Plan Systems which have motorised valves fitted and allow the heating to be run independently of the hot water.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but i have just stumbled across it.

i also have the same gravity hot water system, is it possible to fit a motorised valve to make it a Y,S or W system?

Norway

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old post but i have just stumbled across it.

i also have the same gravity hot water system, is it possible to fit a motorised valve to make it a Y,S or W system?

Norway
It is possible but not straight forward, your gravity HW system will include the expansion pipe, so you cant just put a motorised valve in there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back