Tails in cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cut a new doorway into the wall of the house near to the electric meter cabinet and consumer unit. This resulted in a room full of "glued" poly beads spilling out.

Now looking into the cavity I can see the meter tails. Before replacing the insulation and while i have access is it worth putting some conduit or duct of some kind in so that if new tails are needed they can be pulled in without disturbing the insulation / wont be directly touching insulation?

20210515-160838.jpg

Sponsored Links
A duct probably won't make pulling in new cables any easier, they are big thick cables, and I think a separate duct for them may be more of a hinder.

However, a potential problem is that PVC reacts to polystyrene: the polystyrene sticks to PVC cable, and makes the sheath soft and sticky and eventually brittle.

So somehow you need to make sure the polystyrene is not and cannot touch the cables, whilst not compromising the effectiveness of the cavity wall insulation.

This particular cavity wall insulation should be banned, it does more harm than good.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back