Take power from a light switch

My question is: if I were to take a feed off the three terminals in the existing light fitting would it 'power' another light fitting being controlled by a single switch?
Sure - the existing and new light would then both come on/off when you operated the existing switch.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don’t know if it’s a regional thing, but it certainly isn’t rare in my area. I’d say that most houses I go to are wired in singles up until maybe the early 90s when it seemed to fall out of favour. The property I was working in on Friday is wired in it.

Same area as you and my place had been wired in singles, prior to its rewire in the mid-1980's, its third rewire since build in 1955.

When you say 'singles', do you mean single-insulated conductors in conduit or insulated+sheathed singles (or sheathed 'single+earth', such as we are discussing)?

Kind Regards,

In my case, it was singles+ sheath + earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back