Takes hours for my hot water to heat up, HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am on Econonmy 7 heating and when i want to have a bath i have to leave my heating on overnight and its costing me a fortune!! When i turn the heating on to heat the water up i turn on the booster switch and the other switch for the heater element. I was wondering if it could be a huge build up of limescale and the heating elements are not working as they should? would it be a good idea just to replace the tank and start over again? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thxs
Sarah

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need to use your booster element during the E7 night period. This is when the main (lower) element should kick in and heat the full cylinder in around 1 hour.

Get someone to check the main element and th element thermostat is in fact working.

hi.

Do you have two heaters on hot water cylinder, the booster switch the top heater any time and the bottom one for overnight E7.

How old is the cylinder, How long do it heat up? Do it have enough hot water to fill a bath?

It should not need a new tank, on a job, I renew a bottom heater and before I fit a new one, I remove all limescale with a heavy duty wet-dry hoover and by hand, now more hot water.

Hi :)
I dont leave my hot water heating on at all, but when i have a bath i have to turn both the switches on and if i have a bath in the evening before i go out i turn it on about 5 hors before hand so i know i will be able to have a hot bath, the tank has two heating elements and was put in around 18 years ago, also this may sound crazy :oops: but when its cold outside it does take ages to heat up but in the warm weather its not so bad and doesn't take soooooooo long, both of the thermostats are set at 70 degrees's if thats any help to both of you???

Sponsored Links
The main element probably won't turn on until midnight, regardless of what you flick on at the switch.

Sounds like you are trying to heat the whole cylinder with the small booster immersion :eek:

This WILL take forever as it is only designed as a top up during the day for washing up etc.

Tell me how much insulation you have around the cylinder and pipes.

If the answer is "none" it will lose heat almost as fast as you put it in as it will be acting as a large and rather expensive radiator.

If the answer is "lots" it will stay hot for 24 hours, so you can heat it at cheap rate the night before.

Hi everyone again,

Now let me get this right do i turn the bottom heater on to keep it ticking over and is the top heater just a booster? believe it or not i dont know myself which one is the booster even after all these years i have lived here :oops:

By the way the insulation around the tank is that thick type of polystyrene but there is no insulation around the pipes at all and the tank is situated in a cupboard in my hallway ( live in a flat) by the front door and it is a cold area there with no heating, so i guess i need to insulate the pipes?????

Sarah

yes you are supposed to leave the bottom one turned on all the time; the supply is timed so that it is only live during the overnight cheap rate*. Unlesss you empty out all the hot water there should be no need to turn on the high-priced upper element. you can turn the lower element off when you go on holiday.

You can get stiff plastic foam sleeves lagging for pipes, you have probably got some pipes in 15mm size and more in 22mm size, the insulation is available at any DIY shed, or plumbers merchant. Measure about how much you need (get plenty). It has a slit down the side so you can push it round the pipes. You have to open the slit with your thumbnail or a blunt knife but you will see where it is moulded in. You can cut it with a breadknife to mitre the corners, or you can buy ready-made elbow pieces but they are quite expensive. As long as you push it on from the side it will bend round easy bends on the pipes. You may need some strong tape to bind it round bends and joints. It is usually cheaper in packs of 5 x 1metre length. There are two grades available, the thicker British Standard one is better and should be used for pipes in unheated areas (especially lofts and under floors) but if you have room for it, put it on your hot pipes too. It is made of foamed polythene. climaflex is a good brand but there may be an own-brand which (if it feels stiff) will be OK, it will cost in the region of £1 per metre. there used to be cheap soft floppy lagging available which falls apart, but I have not seen it sold recently.

*I have assumed that you have a dual-rate electricity tariff, like Economy 7 or similar. If you don't, and if you have storage heaters as well as the electric cylinder, you probably hould have. If not, I will change my advice.

Thankyou everyone who has taken the trouble to help me solve this problem out and i will be following the advice given to me and once again guys THANKYOU X

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back