taking chimney down to ceiling height - should i infill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in an old stone detached cottage (bungalow). One of the 3 chimneys (centre one) stonework is in poor condition in the attic, and i am keen on a loft conversion so;

i would like to take the chimney down to ceiling (loft floor) height. This is so i can use the remaining chimney as a good support for the new floor and dormer.

This is all fine however should I fill in the chimney, or leave it ventelated at the top and bottom? or completely close it up top and bottom but leave the gap in it?

this is sandstone so i'm worried about damp/breathability etc

thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
If the flue walls are made of the same material as the real walls, then I would fill the void with glass fibre and cap it. If you do a loft extension, this is what you will do any way. You will just end up with a nicely insulated bit of wall in one bedroom and the dining room.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back