Taking off existing plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

If you get a job to plaster a room because the existing plaster is old with lots of imperfections would you ever take off the existing plaster or is it always ok to to just plaster over the top?

Also is it generally best to use plasterboard over existing plaster, because it is quicker and you get a perfect finish quite easily?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
WOW,

Not sure about others but if i employed the services of a plasterer who had to ask "how to do it" on a DIY forum, then i would be a little worried.

No I'll re-phrase that, I would be VERY worried.

Then again I am a plasterer so i dont need to worry.. Phew thank god for that.

Yep,
I'd go along with that Diyisfree. If a "tradesman" takes on a job and doesn't know what to do for the best, and has to ask a DIY Forum the way to do,what sounds like a straightforward job, :confused: then God help the customer,knowing that money will be paid out....Something like,"Yep,ok missus,i'll do your job...no problem". I'll go and ask the boys on the Forum what to do, and how,and I'll phone you back with a start date.It shouldn't take that long to do it.... ohhh, and have the money ready" Happens a lot nowadays.

Roughcaster.

I'm not a plasterer...im just trying to learn.

I just meant what would a plasterer do in a professional situation.

Sponsored Links
If you get a job to plaster a room because the existing plaster is old with lots of imperfections would you ever take off the existing plaster or is it always ok to to just plaster over the top?

Hi Iotrez,
Apologies for taking the mick. ;)

Depends on the condition of the plaster. Even if the plaster was old with lots of imperfections,but was absolutely sound overall,then I would prepare,PVA and skim over this wall,using bonding -coat plaster and multi finish.But if the wall,or an area of wall was beyond repair,then I would remove the plaster,and either plasterboard the whole wall or patch with plaster,the area that I had removed.

Also is it generally best to use plasterboard over existing plaster,because it is quicker and you get a perfect finish quite easily.?
Thanks.

You can plasterboard over existing plaster on walls,but NOT just for the sake it. I know for a fact it would be quicker and simpler to plaster over a sound existing surface, than to fit plasterboard over it and skim.. Fitting plasterboard over existing plaster on a wall, would mean removing and re-fitting skirtings, architraves,electrical sockets etc. A lot of extra work all round. If you can, keep it simple. Good luck Iotrez. Merry Christmas.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back