taking out lleylandi trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They have to go. Have cut them back (3 of them) - now left with 5-6 feet bare trunks. Does anyone know if they are difficult to remove? I don't expect them to come up like weeds, but do they have deep roots or are they lateral rooted like a weeping willow?

Has anyone taken one out of the ground before? Would it be easier to cut them to ground level and inject them with something to kill the root off?

Sponsored Links
they can be a complete bugger dependent on age. can be difficult to dig out as if you have a row of them they will intermingle. stump grinder is what we use when they cant be pulled out

Is a stump grinder something you can hire - and if so - is it easy to use if you are not in the game? I think the trees must be about 25 years old.

Do you know if they re-grow if they are cut down to ground level. I was thinking of building up the level and planting ovr them. If they do re-grow, is there something I could inject into the stump to stop further growth?

leylandii will not re grow.

you can hire them, they are a big bit of kit and take a bit of getting used to. you can always get someone in to do it, normally quite cheap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Thermo will keep you posted.

Trim all branches back to the trunk and shred. Use the shreddings as mulch on beds.
Cut the trunk down to about 6 feet in height. this will give you something to lever on later on. ( if you cut it at ground level, you will have problems lifting when the roots are cut through.)
The roots of the tree are fairly soft and not very deep apart from one tap root which goes straight down.
Remove the top few inches of earth close to the trunk all the way around,and start to chop the roots working your way around the trunk.
You should find five or six radial roots. When you have gone all the way round the circumference, push on the top of the trunk and it should move a bit.
Keep doing this, and locate the tap root. Chop through this, job done.

Hi

Dug out a few in my time. I agree with Steadtay and add some water to soften the ground up
regards

dug plenty out, which is why i use a stump grinder that will do the job in a fraction of the time and effort!

work smarter not harder! ;) :LOL:

i dug out about 15 of the blighters (now there's a word you don't hear on here very often), and put a fence in... and they haven't troubled me since (8 yrs)... took an axe to them in the ground tho !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back