Taking up a couple of floor tiles - is it a pain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Absolute beginner here.

Recently moved in, and the dishwasher is knackered. That's one thing I can fix, but I need to get it from under the worktop (it's intrgrated).

The floor tiles are almost an inch off the level of the concrete which the dishwasher is sitting on.

The way I see it, either the worktop comes off (PitA as it has the sink in it) or some tiles come up to let me slide it out.

Any other ideas? I know the feet on the dishwasher are height-adjustable but can't for the life of me work out how I'd make use of them as-is.

So I'm thinking I cut the couple of tiles out which are in front of it, slide it out, fix it, then re-lay the tiles (got spares in the shed if I mess it up).

What would you do - am I complicating matters needlessly?

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

• 20171106_185634.jpg
    20171106_185634.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
I'd try lifting the worktop first (front edge), an inch is a lot of concrete/ adhesive to knock out..

If you can get to the feet at the front, then try screwing them up into the dishwasher, and see if it starts to drop and come lose. The problem that you've got, is that as you start to pull it out, it may catch and bind on the worktop before you can get at the back legs, so you may then need to see if you can release the worktop to get it out.

Now if this works, then I'd put the spare tiles under the unit so that the dishwasher then goes back in at the right height for any future maintenance.

If you look up the make and model of the dishwasher you should be able to find a manual online that will tell you how the feet adjust.
Could be that the white bit in your picture does the back ones? (or even possibly the front ones)

Sponsored Links
Hi all, sorry for slow response and thanks for all the replies.

I cut some wood to size to slide under the machine to support it while unscrewing the front feet. I raised them high enough to slide the machine out (putting thick cardboard down to spread the load a bit on the tiles).

But then of course the back ones hit the tiles, and I couldn't manipulate the thing out of its space. I can get to the back-right foot but not the back-left (as this is in a corner...!)

The counter-top has the sink in it so it's a bit of a pain to lift, but as rightly pointed out above, it'll be an easier solution than chipping away at an inch of concrete.

Thankfully we're aiming to get the whole kitchen re-done next year anyway, but for now I guess I need to go raise that counter-top... will report back, cheers!

Matt

The white nylon head at the front should wind the rear feet up.

Hadn't even noticed that thing...! It spins freely though like it's not attached to anything inside. I looked under with a torch and turned it each way, pulled it a bit etc waiting to see if something bit, but no joy.

I've got a horrible cold today so can't be bothered, but will go back to it with a Philips-head and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for pointing it out mate!

Matt

If you moved one of the rear feet without using the front adjuster there is a good chance you have broken or disconnected it at he rear. They can be quite flimsy in construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back