taking up a secret nailed floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dining room has an oak floor (engineered? not laminate anyway) layed across the normal suspended wooden floor and secret nailed down with what looks to be 3 or 4 inch staples (I assume - very long, quite thin wire that must have come from a gun). I need to get under this floor in one corner to investigate damp underneath but its is proving quite tricky.

The boards were layed tight up against the patio doors where I need to start taking it up, I managed to hack out the thin (1 inch or so) strip next to the frame and now want to lift up the first full board. I was thinking I would just be able to pry it up but there is not enough room between the board and the door frame to get a crow bar in, well I can get it in but levering presses against the door frame and I dont want to push that out!

Any tips for getting these things up without destroying the boards as I really dont want to wreck the floor!

Sponsored Links
Gentlest and with two or three people all levering at the same time with the same pressure.

Maybe a bit of 4 x 2 over the door lip, clamped will allow you to rest the crow bars or lever on the top of the 4 x 2 rather than the door lip.

At best 50% chance of doing it without splitting the flooring or ripping the tongue on the grove.

either above or try to gain access from another room,this may then need for you to form a hole through any sleeper wall/s you may encounter.

this is all ok if there is enough room and a deep enough over site??

Sponsored Links
thanks for the suggestions. I pulled up the carpet and a couple of boards in one corner of the adjacent living room but couldnt quite see into the kitchen area. (The earth under the living room was slightly damp/cold but certainly not wet and all the timbers felt bone dry.)

I will try the other corner of the living room and see if there is any access through. There is a brick wall under the floor separating the two rooms but might be able to make a hole in it if nothing already done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back