Tanalised Sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently put in some treated sleepers in my garden to make a dividing line between decking and the lawn.

I had to cut one of them, exposing the untreated wood. I am not sure yet how much contact the wood will have with the lawn/mud as I will cement some of the area off, do I still need to treat this, if so, with what and can it be bought most DIY stores?

Thanks

Gordon

Sponsored Links
b and q and screwfix sell some ronseal decking end grain preserver. that's what i've used in the same situation as you. you can get a similar product in toolstation.

Thanks for your help, I will go and see what I can get. It's going to be very awkward as the sleepers are in place and have a cm or 2 to play with and try and get in with brush or improvise somehow!

In theory pressure treated timber is treated all the way through. In reality while this is true for a thin fence board it is usually not the case with sleepers. That said the harder heartwood in the centre will rot much more slowly.

Wraths advise is spot on though to be sure to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your advice, I think I will be sure as taking them out (should they rot) could prove very tricky once in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back