Tanking normal plaster board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

First thing, this site is great. I wish I had found it ealier!

Anyway

I have just started to re decorate our bathroom, ive pulled all the floor and wall tiles off and have plaster boarded the studded wall.

Now im left with the three other walls which I have taken back to brick, It’s now obvious that the bath/shower has been leaking and as such has made four floorboards and part of one joist rotten.

Once I get this sorted I’ll be boarding the rest of the room so that I can get to work with the tiling.. I am only tiling two walls (where the bath is going) the other wo are just going to be painted once skimmed.

Can I use normal plasterboard around the shower and bath and then tank them up ready for tiling!? Or do I need some other type of board to tank over? I really don’t want damp to get in like it has before which has ended up ruining the plaster and floor!

If required could you please tell me what the board is called and where to get it from? I am going to dot and dab the boards to the brickwork

I have read a few posts about aquaboard, and that is usless!?

Thanks in advance for any information

:D

Ian

Sponsored Links
How do you know that Aquapanel is useless if you haven't tried it?

Try it - you'll like it.

How do you know that Aquapanel is useless if you haven't tried it?
Try it - you'll like it.
Sorry joe, I can’t stand by & look at the total crap & inaccurate posts you’re making! Diy admin, this is (was!) a serious forum for genuine trade advice, do you not care about protecting this at all?

The OP quoted Aqua Board, which is a "Lafarge" product & is just plain old moisture resistant PB; it’s not Aquapanel which is made by Knauf & is a totally different cement board product; you clearly do not know the difference but who TF knows what’s going on in your head, I certainly dont! :confused:

A lot of your posts are good (if not controversial) & I’ve often supported you but after reading some of your recent posts, they don’t reflect the “30 odd years experience in the building trade” you keep banging on about. Some of the advice you’ve given recently is either inaccurate or just total sheite; posters seeking good advice beware!

What’s happened to your ole mate Peaps then?

Coop5; don't rely on joe, read the “Tiling Forum” archive posts; everything you ever wanted to know is in there.

Sponsored Links
cheers mate :cool:
You probably won’t be aware of the reasons but a serious row will probably ensue from my last post to joe; but please read my personal history & all the advice I’ve given in the past.

I don’t want (or need) to get involved with forum trolls it but if you need good trade advice, you can PM me as opposed to the open forum. ;)

Thats fantastic mate, thanks very much. Ill assume my email notifications will be regarding the row haha

thanks again

Ian

It's not the type of substrate that matters - but it's condition. Render may be that tough you can't get it off with a lump hammer or that weak it falls off with your fingers.

Like I say, mate, live in the real world for a bit and stop quoting the backs of adhesive buckets.

It's not the type of substrate that matters
Well I & many others will disagree with that but you seem to have frightened everyone else off :LOL: . Some substrates are good, some are bad & some are very bad but it all depends on what you want to hang off if!

but it's condition.
Well obviously that’s even more important, regardless of the substrate strength when in good condition.

Render may be that tough you can't get it off with a lump hammer or that weak it falls off with your fingers.
Obviously; no “tiler” in their right mind would tile over a weak substrate but some “wanna be” tilers often do, with catastrophic results. A look back through the archive post during the 6 years I’ve been posting will throw up many such examples but as you may have noticed, like gcol before me, I am no longer posting general advice.

Like I say, mate, live in the real world for a bit
I both live & work in the real world with far more experience than you could possibly imagine, the difference is that I understand the materials & products I work with & don’t take any chances. I still work & am not short of it, do/are you? Which world is it you live in nowadays joe? Seems like it’s mainly GD with the occasional rant & “slaging” of others who give genuine advice on the trade forums, presumably when you have more time on your hands or it all gets a bit quiet in GD! For someone who clearly has genuine knowledge & experience & more than “half a brain”, you can sometimes be really silly; I find it all a bit sad really!

and stop quoting the backs of adhesive buckets.
You won’t find any of this stuff on the back of an adhesive bucket, why do you think so many make expensive mistakes! Tub adhesive has a limited capability for tiles over a certain size/weight anyway & on most of the work I do, its' not suitable; powder adhesive is a far better product anyway.

Have a good night on GD! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back