tap - easy question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
easy one for you plumbers...

when I turn my hot tap (to turn it on) not much happens for a few turns then it 'catches' and suddenly turns on. Turns off as normal.

It's a kitchen mixer, hot & cold tap at each side. I've taken the plastic head off the tap but the only thing to adjust is one big nut that holds the whole tap on. My guess is it's old so i should remove this and just get a new tap, or is there anything I can tighten up to fix it?

Reason I ask is I need to drain the whole tank (no shut off valve after the tank...) before removing the tap obviously and don't want to waste my time if I'm gonna need a new tap..

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
You don't need a shut off valve after the tank. There should be one on the inlet. Shut this off and it will stop the flow out. If you haven't got one on the inlet fit one when you drain it.

check on the spindle when you take the tap handle off on the spindle is a clip like a circlip sounds like its broke or come out the groove.

Reason I ask is I need to drain the whole tank (no shut off valve after the tank...) before removing the tap obviously and don't want to waste my time if I'm gonna need a new tap..

Stick a carrot inside the outlet of your hot water plastic tank and a potato on the vent pipe, no need to drain down, either that or buy a bung kit... ;) All does same.....

Sponsored Links

Stick a carrot inside the outlet of your hot water plastic tank and a potato on the vent pipe, no need to drain down, either that or buy a bung kit... ;) All does same.....

Ha ha ha ha

I've bin meaning to get myself a couple of bungs for my plumbing, but I think I will save my money and ask the customer for some veg instead =]

cheers guys,
yup, no shut off on the inlet to the hot water tank either, but yea, forgot about a bung, thanks. I did that for my central heating, worked great, forgot all about it..

on the circlip- it was there and fine. took it off and put it back on.

Is it worth stripping the tap to repair or get a new one, is there some nut I might be able to jst tighten or something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back