Tap isolation valves - Tile wall first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a wall mounted shower room sink to a stud wall.

Should I leave the copper exposed through the wall and then tile, before fitting exposed tap isolation valves?

Or should I fit valves first?
(Easier to pressure test pipework for leaks, but not so pretty?)

Any ideas on what sort of valve to use?

Sponsored Links
depends how you want the tile finish to look like,personally i drill the holes and slot the tile over the pipe, yet our tiler cuts a neat slot out of the tile.why not use pushfit stop ends(speedfit) then you can pressure test the pipework, and can be taken off for tiling, then back on till you fit the sink with proper isolators.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
fit your pipework and your 1/2" wallplate then tile etc then fit your isolation valves.

Sponsored Links
So should I fit the wallplate so that the 1/2" end will be about flush with where the tiles will be (ie. leave enought spare deptth for plasterboard and tiles).

Isnt it a lottery screwing isolation valves into wall plates that they tighten up with the outlet in the required orientation?

Could I drill a 15mm hole through a noggin for the pipe and fit a compression isolation valve after tiling? (and not use a wallplate?)

So should I fit the wallplate so that the 1/2" end will be about flush with where the tiles will be (ie. leave enought spare deptth for plasterboard and tiles).
you got it
Isnt it a lottewy screwing isolation valves into wall plates that they tighten up with the outlet in the required orientation?

use enough ptfe and they'll screw in nice and tight and you can line them up and they won't move or leak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back