Tap refurbishment-anyone know someone with a lathe?

I think that somewhere I have/had a tap to that kind of square cut coarse cut thread.

But unless you find someone with the time and interest to make one on his lathe you will have a problem I think.
I have a lathe and you are right machining costs are about £55-00 per hour that's cheap too
I used to know an old retired doctor who would spend days/weeks making things up himself. I was honored as I was invited to visit his workshop and have tea with him. He will have died years ago and there are virtually no people like him left.

A possibly suggestion could be to plate it or hot dip "galvanise" it with lead. That could put a few thou extra thickness on it.

Brass is also ideal for electroplating. But to do that to a great thickness would need the special mix of chemicals in the plating bath as most plating is very thin for appearance only.

If only you had a tap then you could fill the female thread with lead and retap it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Fookin Lead threads !!! You really do talk B* ll ocks !!
.....and to think we wasted time wiping those rolled/underhand/taft/knuckle/branch lead joints when all we had to do was cut a thread...:)
It pains me it really does...:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back