Tap refurbishment-anyone know someone with a lathe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. My Horus taps need some refurbishment: the biggest issue is that the threaded valve stem is jumping the threads of the stem nut. This can cause a sudden outpour of water or eventually next to little or many turns of the knob before flow. Although a small item there would be several stages including making the correct number of splines. Anyone know of someone in Manchester? Many thanks, Dave.

Sponsored Links
They normally jump when the washer wears, as extra travel is required to shut the water off and the extra travel allows the thread to dis-engage.

Try re-washering as a first step, and if that doesn't work try and get thicker washers, or cut washers out of an old inner tube to go between the jumper and the normal washer.

Cutting splines is usually done with a broach, its not a job normally done on a lathe, although it can be. Even at £500 you'd probably not far off on the machining.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Jet lag.... Me and the dude have been up since 3am. Father son first day at work together then off to family and friends for the weekend to try and fight through the rest of it. :cool:

Thanks 'Oldbuffer', I certainly will try the washer idea, though the threads are probably so far gone that I won't raise my hopes. One thing about using this site is that it does seem to get me thinking; what I really need is a tap and die to the kind of spiral thread (i.e very coarse) used by the old Frenchman in his shed who first made these taps. Then some form of brass deposition or sleeving and recut the thread, also obtain a piece of brass cut the correct faces and tap to the same thread. If that could be done then these taps could be refurbished. All is not lost, at present.

I think that somewhere I have/had a tap to that kind of square cut coarse cut thread.

But unless you find someone with the time and interest to make one on his lathe you will have a problem I think.

I used to know an old retired doctor who would spend days/weeks making things up himself. I was honored as I was invited to visit his workshop and have tea with him. He will have died years ago and there are virtually no people like him left.

A possibly suggestion could be to plate it or hot dip "galvanise" it with lead. That could put a few thou extra thickness on it.

Brass is also ideal for electroplating. But to do that to a great thickness would need the special mix of chemicals in the plating bath as most plating is very thin for appearance only.

If only you had a tap then you could fill the female thread with lead and retap it.

Tony

Are replacement valves not available from the manufacturer? or, as has been suggested, replace tap. (with something costing a lot less than £500)

I think that somewhere I have/had a tap to that kind of square cut coarse cut thread.

But unless you find someone with the time and interest to make one on his lathe you will have a problem I think.

I used to know an old retired doctor who would spend days/weeks making things up himself. I was honored as I was invited to visit his workshop and have tea with him. He will have died years ago and there are virtually no people like him left.

A possibly suggestion could be to plate it or hot dip "galvanise" it with lead. That could put a few thou extra thickness on it.

Brass is also ideal for electroplating. But to do that to a great thickness would need the special mix of chemicals in the plating bath as most plating is very thin for appearance only.

If only you had a tap then you could fill the female thread with lead and retap it.

Tony

Fookin Lead threads !!! You really do talk B* ll ocks !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back