Tap Removal Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hot water tap leaks and I want to change the washer but I can't undo the retaining screw on the tap head. When I tried to turn it, the screw head seemed "soft" and it kind of collapsed. It's now impossible to get a strong enough grip with the screwdriver. Is there a tip for removing the screw? I've tried sawing into the groove with a sharp knife but it barely touched it. I don't really want to replace the whole tap.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Jules69 said:
My hot water tap leaks and I want to change the washer but I can't undo the retaining screw on the tap head. When I tried to turn it, the screw head seemed "soft" and it kind of collapsed. It's now impossible to get a strong enough grip with the screwdriver. Is there a tip for removing the screw? I've tried sawing into the groove with a sharp knife but it barely touched it. I don't really want to replace the whole tap.

Thanks in advance.

If you have mashed it what do you think a plumber will say, unfortunately you will probably need a new tap........... I`ll do it for 80 quid :D :D

drill out retaining screw or just cut off tap head with hacksaw.dont go mad.ensure you can turn off water before starting.
then get tap reviver kit.
see www.screwfix.com search for tap reviver

I managed to wear down groove in the screw with a penknife. I got enough grip to loosen it about a milimetre or two at a time (discovering that if you tighten then untighten continually it seems to help). It took an age to do it, but the tap is free at last!!

I just wanted to say thanks to those who replied. At least on "Googling" for an answer, I discovered this website which is fantastic!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Jules69 said:
I managed to wear down groove in the screw with a penknife. I got enough grip to loosen it about a milimetre or two at a time (discovering that if you tighten then untighten continually it seems to help). It took an age to do it, but the tap is free at last!!

I just wanted to say thanks to those who replied. At least on "Googling" for an answer, I discovered this website which is fantastic!

Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing your sentiments. I am now down by 80 quid. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back