Tap replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd just like to start by saying that i'm pretty limited when it comes to DIY.

I have a dripping bathroom tap and i'm pretty sure that it just needs the washer replacing. However, i took the cap off to reveal the retaining screw and the screw is very worn such that i can't get purchase with the screw driver to turn it. I build up of calcium around it doesn't help.

Is there any way to solve this or might I end up having to replace the whole tap? If I do replace the tap, i'll probably get a plumber in and so would also like to ask what you think a reasonable cost for this sort of job would be.

Thanks a lot for any help
Steve

Sponsored Links
However, i took the cap off to reveal the retaining screw and the screw is very worn such that i can't get purchase with the screw driver to turn it. I build up of calcium around it doesn't help.

I useally lightly drill the screwhead off first, and some white vinegar to loosen the scale to remove the tap head.

Sorry if i'm being naiive but what do you mean when you say drill out the screw?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back