Tap sinking into counter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my bathroom sink is sinking into the counter. I can access underneath and remove the tap? Anythought to rectify this sinking? Was thinking a large steel washer underneath the tap base to act as a collar?

I am going to replace the counter in the next 2 years as I suspect the counter might be damaged inside.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230801_062724379.jpg
    PXL_20230801_062724379.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20230801_062704081.jpg
    PXL_20230801_062704081.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20230801_062726456.jpg
    PXL_20230801_062726456.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
I don't think it is sinking, I think the worktop is expanding because of water ingress.

I can't see what you can do other than replace the top.

I am however, very confused the tap in image 1 and 2, is not the tap in image 3.

Why are you conflating things?

Hi thanks for the feedback, it's all the same tap and counter suspect it's the angle that is tricking the eye.

Would seem replacing is the solution here, any other ideas? Thanks

I have tackled this sort of thing before......
I bought a white nylon chopping board from Tesco, and used a holesaw to cut a circle maybe 5 to 10mm bigger than the tap base diameter. The chopping board was around 10mm thick.
I then drilled another concentric hole to accept the tap thread and pipes.
There was enough thread on the tap backnut / clamp to accept my spacer without any problems.
You could do the same with a steel washer - if you could find one - but it would have to be stainless steel.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I have tackled this sort of thing before......
I bought a white nylon chopping board from Tesco, and used a holesaw to cut a circle maybe 5 to 10mm bigger than the tap base diameter. The chopping board was around 10mm thick.
I then drilled another concentric hole to accept the tap thread and pipes.
There was enough thread on the tap backnut / clamp to accept my spacer without any problems.
You could do the same with a steel washer - if you could find one - but it would have to be stainless steel.
John :)

I once had to do something similar.

I had to drill through marble that was overlaid on the top of a pressed steel bath (to fit a pull out shower head). I whilst I was drilling, the cordless drill snagged. When I tried to free up the core bit, a tiny bit of marble chipped away (approx 4mm would have been visible when the pull out shower head collar was fitted).

I paid £75 to get a custom made (polished) stainless steel "washer" to sit under the shower head collar to hide the damage.

Lasermaster will cut you a stainless steel washer to fit this. Choose the Stainless 316 and then Mirror finish. Should be about £20 with postage. Same thing that Opps is describing, but a bit cheaper

Hi my bathroom sink is sinking into the counter. I can access underneath and remove the tap? Anythought to rectify this sinking? Was thinking a large steel washer underneath the tap base to act as a collar?

My guess - whoever cut the hole, may have cut it slightly too large. An easy, cheap fix, would be to cut a suitable plastic washer from one of those 2L ice cream tubs, the thick ones as used by Walls. Then add some sealant to the underside of the washer, before clamping it all back up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back