Tap washer changing - tap very stiff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

SLight problem I have - dripping bathroom tap

Am wanting to renew washer but cannot get cover off tap. Seems too stiff. Any tips how to shift it off please?

Sponsored Links
VERY small straight screwdriver, press down hard and firm into the coloured plastic ring (red or blue) at one point on the top of the tap, should slide under the cap and pop it up.... be careful, its best to use a downwards pressure not an inwards pressure.

Sorry, I have the plastic cap off and the screw removed, but I cannot remove the cover (metal) from the body of the tap to access the nut/washer part!

Then it is just a matter of wiggling it and lifting it upwards until it comes off. Can't risk heating it with blow torch as caps are generally plastic. Generally some rocking, wiggling and upwards force should remove it (finally)

There shouldn't be anything else holding it on, other than a build up of things over the years. Some can be a complete pain in the a**e to get off.

On the basis that you are having trouble freeing this - it is likely it will be difficult to remove the tap valve from the tap body too - but we'll cross that bridge when you get to it :LOL:

If you can find a screwdriver the right width (so that it doesn't touch the plastic cap) and can rest it on the top of the tap valve thats showing - a couple of gentle taps with a hammer on the screwdriver might help free it.

Sponsored Links
yes got it off!!! freed it with force and a lot of sweat !!!!!

But as you mentioned, I am having trouble getting the nut part out of the tap body. I have used an adjustable on it but it's so stiff.

ANy tips please would be so helpful :)

You need:

2 x Adjustable spanners
1 x Towel

Put towel around the tap spout - then one set of adjustable spanners onto the spout (towel protecting the chrome finish). The use that stop the tap moving round in its hole while you trying to undo the tap valve.

Be careful while doing it - you dont want to damage the finish of the tap.

Thanks for the tip. I am trying it now but the towel seems to sliop and I can't get any grip on the spout!!! Any other tips please? :cry:

Firstly make sure you are trying to turn the valve the right way :LOL:

The principle is correct, there is no easy way - you might find you get a better grip with waterpump pliers

Thanks for your help mate.

I am just scared I damage the tap/chip it/take the nice gold coating off

Try an old tea towel or similar, tightly bound in place with PVC tape?

I keep a piece of steel tubing lined with a piece of plastic waste pipe to slip over tap spouts to hold them steady. Not sure where the tube came from now, but I think it started life as a table leg.

A RING spanner is a much better tool for the tap body nut. It's made of brass so an adjustable is asking for rounded corners.

For the spout, cut up a milk container so you have a three or four inch strip of the plastic. Wrap it round the spout, and tape it to hold it there. I then use a monster adjustable which has long jaws, but if yours is shorter or you're using grips which press particular points hard, use a harder plastic - like the milk container lid, under those.
Gold finishes are the softest, and even with great care, it's likely to mark a bit.

If you pour boiling water over the whole tap before you start it'll tend to soften any goo that might have been used, and the heat makes everything expand - including the gaps - so it'll need less force.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back