Tap screw broken problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi slight problem - am trying to change washer on dripping tap but the screw that connects tap head to body is broken in half :cry: I can't shift it now - is there anyway to remove it?

Sponsored Links
Hi slight problem - am trying to change washer on dripping tap but the screw that connects tap head to body is broken in half :cry: I can't shift it now - is there anyway to remove it?

Can you post a pic up please? Difficult to advise without seeing the extend of it.

I always use wd40, spray it onto the screw, give it a few mins and then try.

Failing this, if you cannot get it off, you'll have to saw a "slot" into the tap head(if its plastic), shove a screwdriver in and twist it, split it open, remove it and buy a new tap head, probably cost you approx £15, although bit of a bummer when you think the simple washer probably costs about 30p!

Sorry don't have a picture but it is a metal tap, crosshead type an the screw is a slotted type but has broken so no slot to put the screwdriver in :eek:

Sponsored Links
that is the one or is ery similar. victoria style tap. Have losened cover (threaded) and got to screw... but as mentioned, it split/broke in half, so cannot get screwdriver in slot to undo tap handle to acces headgear nut

It looks like you will have to use a hacksaw to saw through the brass shaft, and lift off the handle, allowing removal of the head. (Cover the basin etc with some thick cardboard though).
Go to B&Q or Wickes etc and buy a Tap Convertor set, which is basically a complete new tap internal mechanism and fancy handle set.
Fix the new Tap Convertor set in place of the old mechanism, and you taps will be as good as new.
I did the same when my 40 year old taps seized up and corroded to such an extent, that the water reduced to a trickle - The Tap Convertors did the job for GBP 12.99.

If half the screw head has come off, you could try chiselling off the other half, remove the top, then use plier to remove the old screw.
Replacements are usually M4 pan head screws, and should be brass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back