Tap won't turn on head just spins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I have a tap on my basin and the head just spins on it, it doesn't turn on, it looks like something plastic has broke inside. Any ideas on whats up? Is it easy to fix, I no how to re-washer a tap thats about it. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
remove tap head and you will see splines on tap spindle have stripped the plastic in the tap head probably.

you will need a replacement tap head or set of 4 unless you want different looking taps in your bathroom.

remove tap head and you will see splines on tap spindle have stripped the plastic in the tap head probably.

you will need a replacement tap head or set of 4 unless you want different looking taps in your bathroom.

Thanks whats do you mean by a set of 4?

Also do they do universal tap heads?

If it is a failed tap head you will need a replacement which is unlikely to match the other basin tap head and the bath taps.

So unless you don't mind the appearance of odd tapheads you might need to change all tap heads so they match each other. I've just done this last week when one of my bathtaps had the same problem as you. I got 2 sets (4) of replacement acrylic heads on ebay for about £14 including p&p.

Sponsored Links
Temporary solution sometimes works if care is taken and they are not over torqued.

Remove the head and put a single strand ( at first ) of single core copper wire as used on house lighting circuits for example and then refit. Sometimes it will work for a while.

I suspect its been loose for a while and just getting worse!

Tony

Ok thanks for the advise I will see what I can get with regards to universal tap heads. Will most plumbers merchants have some? Also I have a dripping tap in the kitchen that requires a new washer if I take the washer out and take it to a plumbers merchants will they be able to sell me one the right size. Or do I have to buy a big pack of varies sizes?

Ok thanks for the advise I will see what I can get with regards to universal tap heads. Will most plumbers merchants have some? Also I have a dripping tap in the kitchen that requires a new washer if I take the washer out and take it to a plumbers merchants will they be able to sell me one the right size. Or do I have to buy a big pack of varies sizes?

Any help on this please?

Again if it's an old tap you may be just as well replacing the whole cartridge rather than replacing the washer, however if its just the washer you want to replace, just take it to the plumbers merchants and see what they've got they should have them in a pack of 2/4, you'll want to give it a good greasing as well so buy some grease while your there.

The tap repair heads come with new washers.

B&Q probably have them.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back