Tap won't turn on

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wondered if anyone can help. My hot bath tap will only turn a slight bit and no water is coming out. All of my other taps in the flat are fine.

Someone has suggested that I take the tap apart but I've got so far and don't know where to go from here.

Please see photos attached.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Either:

1, unscrew the outer tap and then spray wd40 onto the tap head and then try and free it off.

2, Or better go to B&Q and get a tpa conversion kit. Then turn off the stop tap or tie up the ball valve on the LARGE cold water tank and run all the hot taps in the house until the water stops. Unscrew the the outer tap head off with a screwdriver and then get a pair of pump pliers and unscrew the inner tap head off. At this point replace the tap heads with the conversion kit doing the reverse.

You can also do the cold tap whilst you have the water turned off so they match.

Yes as expertguy says it is a common fault, ideal way is to grease with silicone grease but it will only last a short time before seizing up again. Go for the tap refresher kit, quicker easier and will last longer. :D

Hi, if you look at the second photo, that's the point I'm at but how do I unscrew it from here? Nothing will budge now.

Sponsored Links
If you've removed the centre screw, it should lift off. Poss seized on the splines. You could use two screwdrivers under the handle, opposite each other to carefully lever the handle upwards.

No, it just isn't budging at all, I've even tried to do the same on a tap which works (the same kind of tap) and it's the same, it just doesn't lift off. Tried brute force with screwdrivers etc but still nothing?

Thanks, just needed that advice and did it in the end, all fixed!

Always reluctant to use brute force but sometimes you have to.

It looks a heap of crap anyway!!, rip the bath out and fit new with some different taps :LOL:

You are rude slapper :eek: I`d have thought you`d be used to a tin bath in front of the copper in the skullery - coming from Lincs. ;)

Hi, I wondered if anyone can help. My hot bath tap will only turn a slight bit and no water is coming out. All of my other taps in the flat are fine.

Someone has suggested that I take the tap apart but I've got so far and don't know where to go from here.

Please see photos attached.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

For goodness sake - get that bathroom cleaned up too - you live in a pigsty! Hope u don't have kids in that bath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back