Tapered joint taping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When your taping a tapered dry wall joint, do you embed the paper tape deep in to the joint, or just below the top surface??

Sponsored Links
Don't use paper at all. Use mesh scrim.

Yep. Paper for taper jointing. Put some easifil into the join push, the tape in with a narrow putty knife so the filler soaks into the tape and you have no air bubbles. Then go over the lot with more filler and a wider knife. You have to push pretty hard to get the filler to soak into the paper so it will end up pretty deep in the joint. Unless you are a pro you'll probably end up with the odd air bubble and loose tape near the surface. You can just cut this out with a Stanley and add some more easifil

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, will give it a go

Being a novice I will probably leave a fair bit of sand to do, any suggestions in the best sand paper to use?

The expensive stuff is noticeably better but you do get through it. New is better than old as it clogs very quickly. Buy a roll rather than sheets and just keep tearing off a new bit. The timing is key. Do it when the filler has fully set but still soft enough to be easy. IIRC about 10-20 hours later, although there is a pretty big window and it never goes that hard.

Generally I find it better to put on too little and then go back and fill it rather than putting on too much and having to sand a lot. It makes a lot of dust

Paper is weak. Scrim with the mesh stuff. Forget 'olde worlde' stuff.

British Gypsum and Lafarge both recommend paper tape for jointing taper edge board. Hardly 'olde worlde', tape and jointing is a much newer system than scrimming and skimming.

So tell me what the benefits are - I'd love to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back