Tapering ends of already installed skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My builder has just installed some skirting board for me and it generally looks okay - however he has not tapered the edges where it meets an architrave. See photo.

Now that it is already installed, is there any way it can be cleanly tapered? It is made of MDF.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,688
Sponsored Links
PipeDownSoldier, good evening.

How is the Skirting fixed? from the image posted is that a screw I can see?? or is the Skirting glued?

Ken

Sponsored Links
What is with all the bang marks and that metal fixing on display? Did you say you would paint the board after installing?

If as it appears you are rather short on time? with the Painter due imminently

Foxholes suggestion of using a Dremmell type tool [if you have one is the fastest option]

Ken

Multi tool would be my first go to - followed by wood filler to try and follow the contours round the door frame ;)

I think a Dremel using the sanding disks will be more "Controllable" than a Multi Tool?

Finish of at floor level with a Stanley knife???

Ken

Dremel would take all day, have used a belt sander before and finished to floor with wood chisel.multitool is quickest and most accurate .

multitool is quickest and most accurate

+1.

And if you have access to a table saw or bevel(i.e. mitre) saw, make a large block of wood with a 45° edge to it which you can press up against the skirting and use as a guide for the blade. Doing it purely freehand could go a bit wobbly!!

To protect the flooring, a thin sheet of steel laid down flat first would be ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back