Taping over an outflow pipe on electric shower - safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just a quick plea for advice before I try a temporary fix (apologies if this is a ridiculous question as I'm a total DIY novice) - our new house has a Triton electric shower. When you turn it on, all the water pours out of the outflow pipe at the bottom of the unit, with only a trickle coming out of the shower head.

We took the head and hose off and descaled them, and the water came out a little better - however, we discovered that when we put a finger over the outflow pipe, the water came out of the shower at full pressure.

Would it be safe to tape over this pipe with electrical tape as a temporary fix? The shower is virtually unusable as it is, and we can't afford to call anyone out as we've only just moved in (first time buyers after years in rented flats, so we're used to the landlord paying to fix things! :) )

If it's hideously dangerous and we should leave it alone, please do say - I don't really fancy blowing myself up/electrocuting myself after only a week in our new house!

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Not advisable as it is a safety device and you'll just cause more damage in the shower unit.

Change the prd takes less than 1/2 hour and only cost around £15 for the part.
What model triton is it ?

Why might the PRD have operated in the first place, Seco? Or do they just die of old age sometimes?

Why might the PRD have operated in the first place, Seco? Or do they just die of old age sometimes?

Restricted flow through the heat can causes pressure build up and blows the ball out of the prd.
Useally due to blocked shower head kinked or damaged inner hose within the hose or even changing the spray pattern on the head can cause it. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Seco.

So the OP needs to keep an eye on the hose/head to avoid repeat performance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back