Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All! - We had some somewhat mediocre 'handy-man' fit a new toilet and outflow pipe to our bathroom.

Since the toilet was moved from its original position, he ran a new outflow pipe in a U shape around the room. To make the bend in order to link up with the original outflow location, the pipe has to disappear out of one wall behind the toilet, turn a corner (which it does in a small roof alcove out with the bathroom) and then return back in to the bathroom and then out in the usual way.

Because of its extra journey, my guess is that the gravitational effect between toilet and outflow is too shallow and the toilet blocks regularly. I can clear these blockages as they occur, which I'm doing frequently, by using a bucket of water to turbocharge the flush. This seems to work - but obviously its not ideal.

I've heard that people can fit some sort of additional valve or pipe of some sort which can aid shallow gradient issues like this... not sure what to look for if such a thing exists.

The alternative I guess is to get a proper plumber in to completely redo this guy's work.... not my favourite option!

Ready to get my hands dirty but with almost zero experience in this area!

Sponsored Links
The toilet soil pipe should be installed with the correct fall to ensure that it is self clearing. Too shallow and solids can accumulate as they fall out of the slow water flow. Time to get them back and give them the chance to correct or give some of your money back and get a proper plumber in.

Such fast and thorough advice! - Thanks so much. Shame there's no magical fix.... I won't be getting the original guy back in and I've already dealt with the financial side of this!

I'll get a proper plumber in when I can. Sounds like it could get industrial!

Thanks again - impressed with the speed of your help on this. Will come here again!

honestly mate it would of been better to get plumber in the first place it would of been cheaper ( with a warranty on installation ) in the first place . it sounds like it needs reinstalling to have correct fall , also new materials might need purchasing so whoever reads this please keep this in mind . it sounds like the handyman had no clue about plumbing ( not very handy ) but a few pictures would be helpful for us to advise what might be needed to achieve a suitable a good working toilet .(y)

Sponsored Links
Thanks AGAS,

Yes a proper plumber from the start would have been the best option. We really balls'd it up... not the first we've made this mistake either - but we were tempted by the cost saving and are a little inexperienced when it comes to hiring people like this. Will pay the right amount next time!

The guy that we found said he was a proper plumber, seemed to know his stuff, charged very little and was very nice! - So that was a good start. Everything else was a disaster however. I know you're not surprised!

We are too poor now to hire the right guy - so we're keeping a bucket handy for the next year or so. It's miserable!

if you provide some pictures we may be able to help your situation until you get a plumber , you may be able to have a working toilet its hard to imagine what you have thou from the description .

Have you got room above your toilet pan for a high level cistern ? That'll sort it and in the scheme of things might be cheaper than getting a plumber in;)

Have you got room above your toilet pan for a high level cistern ? That'll sort it and in the scheme of things might be cheaper than getting a plumber in;)

Either Nige's advice or if you can get hold of a cistern that has a 9L cistern flush rather than today's standard 6L flushes may help in the short term

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back