tapping under bonnet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thinking of buying an astra mk4 1.6i on an 02 plate but there is a tapping from under the bonnet once the key is turned would the oil pump need replaceing and would it have a twin cam

PLS HELP

Sponsored Links
A tapping noise is more likely to be a valve clearance / hydraulic tappet issue, really.
Does the oil light go off immediately on start up?
Does the oil light come on when the engine is very hot, on tickover?
If your answers are first yes then no, the engine bearings are likely to be ok, but obviously mileage and service history play a big part here.
John :)

there is only 70000 miles on clock but there is no oil light on in car it has been stood for 4 months do u think it may go after a run in it

Yep, I do - give it a long, fast run after checking the oil level is good. I reckon the tapping noise will go, but its always a good move to change the oil and filter if the engine has been standing.

Sponsored Links
You didn't say whether it was with the engine running.

Engine not running.....?

Sounds like a fuel pump desperately trying to draw fuel through a gummed up feed because it's been standing so long.

Fair comment, that - I only assumed that the engine was running! :D
Immobilisers too can cause all sorts of weird noises after the engine is stopped.

Cant believe it hasnt got an oil light, gasp.... If one isnt showing then I expect the bulb has been removed because of a problem..... wouldn't touch it if that was the case.

its always a good move to change the oil and filter if the engine has been standing.

John, out of interest can I ask why this is? I can understand that all oil will have drained to the sump, apart for areas where it 'wells', but would it not suffice to maybe top up with 1/2 pint of oil to relubricate the components prior to starting the engine?

Lou.

Hi Lou
Hydraulic tappets rely on a good supply of oil that is the correct viscosity and specification to keep them quiet - if they tend to be noisy and stay that way, often the oil is past its sell by date and the oil galleries to the tappets get a bit gunged up too.
Obviously we've no idea when the oil was last seen to on this engine - I just got a feeling that it was a bit of an unknown quantity, hence my comment.
You make a good comment about an oil top up though, as the camshaft is one of the most highly stressed components in any engine. The trouble is, unless you take the rocker cover off to do this, the oil you put in heads straight for the sump anyway....! Also, too high an oil level will put you in the black books of the catalytic converter.
We'll see if an update follows!

Sponsored Links
Back