Taps against long wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right. Probably been done to death, but all the posts seem old.

I have talked the wife out of getting rid of the bath and fitting another walk in shower. However, she wants the double ended type with taps against the wall. Very nice, but I cant stand the thought of the aggravation of changing the taps or repairing a leak in the future, near or otherwise.

She is adamant that there must be taps that are serviceable/replaceable from the top. Her argument is that if hotels fit them, they MUST be sortable.

So, am I completely wrong, and if not, why on earth do folk an hotels set themselves up for aggravation?

Whilst at it, is there anything wrong with Roca baths?

Cheers,

FT

Sponsored Links
Bristan Easy Fit bath taps are servie/replaceable from top. Roca is good quality.

Regards

Yes you can get top securing quick release bath taps/mixers where the threaded stem and cap mount are fitted to the bath as normal with back nuts, then flexi's are used, passed up through the mount and connect to the tap body as normal, then the mixer is secured to the cap mount already on the bath by allenkey grub screws.
trick will be getting the same taps in 5 years when they old ones need replaced as there isn't really a standard for the fixings.

Roca are ok, if not a little overpriced, been around for a good while though.

Thanks for info and reassurance on the bath. My next worry is telling the wife, while at the same time not admitting she's right :) .

However, the long term issues are still there, are they not? If the tap connector washer leaks,,then it seems impossible to repair.? Or am I being thick. (I looked at some videos).

I can do plumbing, to a degree, being a gas service engineer, but am not a plumber, and do not do it for customers. My big problem is lack of experience, and knowledge of available kit, rather than the actual doing.

My other option is a set of wall mixers. The end of the bath backs on to the airing cupboard (breeze block wall). I assume I should be able to fit the taps, and in future service/remove them without damaging the wall surface? I am going to use Multi panels, with the Hydrolok.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The o rings/flexis wouldn't be 'easily' accessible, however, with most nitrile seals they have over 15 years guarantee. As a plumber/gas engineer, bristan easy fit is what I would fit in my house, and would recommend.

Mark

There are several different types, each with their own pros and cons. The only issue with the Bristain design, IMO, is getting the feeds situated correctly with access to the iso's under the bath. The Pipework needs set just so you can fit the tap mount with the bath out and then push the bath in properly using extra long flexi's/plastic feeds like any other static long edged fitted taps. Unless you have full access underneath at either end.

The other modular set up is a fitting kit, it lets you use any tap/pillar you wish. It then lets you fit/remove the taps with the flexi's attached, once the other end is decoupled from under the bath and then whole flexi pulls out through the tap mount hole. It's designed to be be used with any mixers/pillar with standard 3/4" fittings, so you choose the tap and updating is easy.

https://www.tapwarehouse.com/produc...MIpZ7lo97X1QIVzBobCh1ZcgItEAUYASABEgLME_D_BwE

Can't think of a good excuse to give to the wifey though ;)

Last edited:
Feckin' women :)

Thanks to both of you for that. I like the idea of not having to use a specific range of tapservices.

My other option is a set of wall mixers. The end of the bath backs on to the airing cupboard (breeze block wall). I assume I should be able to fit the taps, and in future service/remove them without damaging the wall surface? I am going to use Multi panels, with the Hydrolok.

Cheers
What is behind the long wall where the taps are to go ? would it be possible to create an access panel there ?

No, Nige. It is a dining room so not practical.
Although in an emergency would be better than damaging wet wall panels and shifting bath :)

I've had to cut out a bedroom wall to gain access to taps fitted on the long edge of a bath.
Very bad idea, all pipework/fittings that have a rubber washer should be fully accessible, it is not that they might fail, it is when they will fail.

Fit wall taps from the cupboard wall with access from the cupboard.

Andy

Advise my customers not to buy bath taps with flexi's only copper stubs, all pipework is copper/soldered and run to the 'front of the bath' with Iso valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back