Taps in middle of bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber is worried about putting the taps in the middle of my new bath as it is against a solid wall...so no access from behind if any leaks, otherwise it means ripping bath out if leaks happen.

He suggests chasing pipes into wall and using a wone unit bath filler attached to wall, allowing any leaks to be sorted easily, maybe only damaging a couple of tiles.

He says it is better to be safe than sorry.

He seems to be worried ablout the fibre washers failing?

Sponsored Links
getting more and more popular so tell the plumber to doitright first time and it won't leak.

In my books the punter gets what he wants. :LOL:

yes good point...he says he is very cautious.

My understanding is that tthe joint with the bottom of the tap with fibre) washer can weep at any time...ie as much as 6 months or a year later.

This happened with a toilet ...and caused some famage

Dont use fibre washers, use the rubber ones that come with the 600mm long flexi tap connectors snd make the taps up before the bath is fitted. you can then make the final connection from underneath

Sponsored Links
There is a way, but you may have to pay a bit extra for the work. It`s possible to run your pipework up the sides & along the back wall of your bath, you will need to have a small sub-frame fitted, it`s only gonna take 2 pipes, in the centre, have a small raised platform, install your taps on this, make it a feature, it`s too long winded for me to go into greater detail, I can`t be ar*sed but you get the general idea, that is, of course, if your bath is not pre-drilled, which it probably is... so forget everything I`ve just said..... :D :D :D

doitall said:
Dont use fibre washers, use the rubber ones that come with the 600mm long flexi tap connectors snd make the taps up before the bath is fitted. you can then make the final connection from underneath

:idea:

wont they need check valves DIA ? if they are in the middle of the bath they will be under water :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

A properly made joint with copper tube and fittings is very unlikely to ever leak however just to be sure I suppose this might be the one occasion to use a little LSX.

I do have to share the plumbers concern. Doing a £70 bath tap connection is risky if the cost of redoing it if it leaked might be £300.

There are some jobs its better left to others without the ability to spot pitfalls.

This reminds me of a previous boss. He got someone with this new franchise from the local paper to etch his car number on the cars windows for about £12. Unfortunately the windscreen shattered and cost the poor fellow about £250 to replace. An expensive £12 job that one!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back