Tar like substance to remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas how to get the black tar like substance as shown in the picture attached where an extension used to be attached to our house before, as the previous owner put it, took itself down?

Any ideas as to how I can remove it just to make things look a little nicer as it pretty darned difficult stuff to remove? There is some staining on the bricks but there are parts where the pieces attached.

Not sure if this is the right category to put this post in.

Attachments

• rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have given this stuff a go which works pretty well: https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/roofers-roofer-bitumen-remover-1000ml.html

Despite doing a pretty job at dissolving it does require a bit of effort scrubbing with a wire brush and then I hosed down to get rid of dissolved remnants and does not leave any staining. Sometimes need to repeat up to 3 times in the same spot I found. I used a cheap paint brush with painting strokes over a number of times with a small amount of the tar/bitumen remover.

A little Heat with a hot air gun might soften the thicker bits so you can scrape them off before applying a solution, it looks like flash band adhesive, it's gentle Heat you need to apply not go mad !!

Thanks @gasbanni . I tried a few months ago a flame torch in a small area but used too much heat so made it worse! Nasty stuff though to get off.

Since using the tar & bitumen remover mentioned above see the attached image. A pretty good result compared to the image in original post so far and will just need to work on removing the remnants of tar/bitumen flash taping and sealant to complete the job. Quite a bit of effort required using a wired brush to work in and loosen the tar/bitumen stuck on the wall and would typically take around 2 to 3 goes on the same spot to get to where I got and then used a pressure washer to blast the broken down remnants off the wall.
I wonder if a brick cleaner solution would help along with something to break down what remains?

Attachments

• back wall.jpg
    back wall.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 124
White spirits dissolves bituminous products readily.
I just want to say that even though knows-all posted this 3 years ago it has just got me out of a tricky situation. I tried Meths first and it didn't work much so didn't think to try white spirits until I read this. And boy does white spirit help !! Just wiped off my (admitedly non-pourous surface).

So yeah, nose all really does live up to his name. Thanks a lot !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back