White chalk substance on external extension wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an extension that's about 16-20 years old that has just had a white chalk like substance appear pretty much all over the front of the extension. It is just like chalk when I touch it.

Anyone any idea that this is? And how I get rid of it?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Picture attached - thank you
D5730EDB-485D-43AB-8C3E-7C754B903093.jpeg

Attachments

• FD50FFE0-DCE8-448B-B9A5-DE9E4A2EF784.jpeg
    FD50FFE0-DCE8-448B-B9A5-DE9E4A2EF784.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 26
It does like like efflorescence.

I am a lowly decorator. I will let others advise you further.

Is this the first time it has appeared?

I have seen people recommend brushing on 50/50 dilute vinegar.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Yeah first time. All appeared over the last week.

Thank you. Yeah first time. All appeared over the last week.

Might have been a result of the excessive rain that we have had recently... Again, not my area of expertise, so I will defer to others. Best of luck.

Its efflorescence alright, and it's a phenomenon which means it appears randomly at any time but is usually associated with the wall getting saturated.

I can tell you that you will never get rid of it, no matter what you try and however much you google for miracle cures. It will go (or stay) of it's own accord.

The only thing you can do is dry brush it to minimise it. Whatever you do, do not try and wash it off.

Thanks @^woody^. Is it harmful to the house at all? We have had horrific weather recently and we are at the top of a hill and this side of the house gets hit quite bad weather wise. I have got a hard brush that I will try on it. Will avoid water on it then.

No, it's just unsightly.

It's salts which water brings to the surface when it evaporates, and just leaves the salts there on the surface. You may be lucky and it disappears of it's own accord.

Use a stiff brush but not too hard if the bricks are sand faced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back