Tarmac drive improving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a tarmac drive that is probable 30+ years old. In general the condition is fine except for at the top where it has two patches from the utility services digging it up and patching it (at least 15 years ago) and a small patch at the side where it has worn away.

I've had a quote of £6-7k to dig it all up put an aco drain in and lay the new tarmac. I can't justify that price just to make it look a little nicer when it functions as is and is covered by cars most of the time.

Our local area has just had a 'SMART' covering on the pavements. In not sure how they did it as I was at work but each section they worked on was done in a day. It seems to have been a thin costing over the top.

Is there anything I can do like this which would improve the look of the drive? I'm wondering if I cut the worst section at the side out and used a pot hole repair kit (it isn't a put hole yet - just the top service has worn away), then cost with a driveway sealer. Would that work? Our an I wasting money?

We've been thinking about it for about 10 years and it hasn't really changed in that time!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. That stuff like worth a try.

The drive is approx 60sqm, it says 6sqm per L. And it comes in 5L tins, so if the coverage was accurate I'd need 10L, so do you think 20L would do the job for 2 coats or are you saying double that?

Any tips on prepping the surface first? Do I need to cut out the worn section and fill with cold setting tarmac?

Depends on your tarmac surface I guess, the first coat really soaks it up, also we used a couple of long pile rollers and poles so the roller soaks some up I suggest you double the quantity for the first coat and perhaps one and a half for the second. I ordered mine from amazon but Screwfix do it too, so if you are a bit short it's easy to get a top up if you buy it there.(y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back