'tarmac specifications' for a domestic drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is a typical specification for a domestic drive? Our new house is in an area covered by a conservation trust. It is in the "modern zone" rather than in the conservation area but we still have to apply for all changes. We want to widen the drive and have submitted an application with drawings and materials, but they have emailed back asking for a list of things including "specification of tarmac".

These people are administrators and not technical. Their answers to pre planning questions suggest they don't know what they're asking for, other than to tick a box on a form. So I've got to send them a specification. Could one of you fine folk suggest something that would sound right?

Sponsored Links
What is a typical specification for a domestic drive? Our new house is in an area covered by a conservation trust. It is in the "modern zone" rather than in the conservation area but we still have to apply for all changes. We want to widen the drive and have submitted an application with drawings and materials, but they have emailed back asking for a list of things including "specification of tarmac".

These people are administrators and not technical. Their answers to pre planning questions suggest they don't know what they're asking for, other than to tick a box on a form. So I've got to send them a specification. Could one of you fine folk suggest something that would sound right?
Rolled (black) Tarmac 30mm wearing coat, i.e. 6mm bound aggregate, on 70mm compacted (rolled) binder course, on 100 - 150mm compacted hard core layer. All laid to falls, with storm-water collected at Aco drains before discharge onto public footpath. Storm water to soakaway (within boundary).

Asphalt to BS EN 13108, laid in accordance with BS 598987 is all they need to know.
Part of me wants to tell them that with quite some force. The trouble with administrators is that you need to persuade them to let you through the gate.

Sponsored Links
Rolled (black) Tarmac 30mm wearing coat, i.e. 6mm bound aggregate, on 70mm compacted (rolled) binder course, on 100 - 150mm compacted hard core layer. All laid to falls, with storm-water collected at Aco drains before discharge onto public footpath. Storm water to soakaway (within boundary).
Why do you collect it in an ACO drain then discharge it onto a public footpath, why not just let it flow straight onto path.

Why do you collect it in an ACO drain then discharge it onto a public footpath, why not just let it flow straight onto path.
'before reaching the path' and should be in brackets perhaps. Dealing with your own storm water within your own boundary (where appliccable) is the rules.

If it's for planning then it's the appearance and drainage they will be concerned about . I take the previous posters points about drainage.
Perhaps someone went for stripy lime green and pink tarmac in the past and they've been burned by it.
I would be tempted to just say tarmac, standard colour, to blend in with the surrounding pavements if applicable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back