Tax credits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody else see the item on the news today re over payment of tax credits.
It showed a case of a full time policeman, and his wife, who had a part time job, complaining that they would not be able to repay the over payment that they had been given. I think it was in the region of £1500.
Admittedly they had 3 children but how on earth could they be eligible to claim this in the first place. By no stretch of the imagination could they be described as in need.
I was under the impression that these schemes were supposed to help the less well off.
When my wife tried to claim for help with our disabled son she was told that as she is now a pensioner she is not eligible and that her carers allowance would have to be reduced.

Sponsored Links
I thought I'd misheard it. Doesn't a copper start on £20,000 plus?

Then they work for 10 years and retire on health grounds.

joe

Close, Joe.....it`s the "Fire and Rescue Service" that can retire on the sick .that`s after years of doing cash building work when they`re not "working" :LOL: OK..they do and see things I wouldn`t want to @ road accidents :mad: But what about our Squaddies.........and our own Moz,(ex commando)come to that :?:

I thought 'going commando' meant that you wear no underpants?

joe

Sponsored Links
I think there is a one off payment of about £350 for earners up to£40,000.
If she is his partner as opposed to his wife they could claim child tax credits because they wouldn't be getting married allowance.Or their circimstances changed from their originial claim and the payments stayed the same ,which has affected over a third of claimants

Starting pay for a copper is £20,397, after the 2 yr probation it goes to £24,090. Then it increases year by year up to a maximum of 10 yrs service of £32,025. But that's shift pay.

gcol said:
Starting pay for a copper is £20,397, after the 2 yr probation it goes to £24,090. Then it increases year by year up to a maximum of 10 yrs service of £32,025. But that's shift pay.

When did you last see one shift then? :LOL:

What about taking into account the fact that they might have had to take out a big mortgage just to get on the housing ladder as well. We really shouldn't criticise people's incomings until we know what their outgoings are.

Brightness said:
What about taking into account the fact that they might have had to take out a big mortgage just to get on the housing ladder as well. We really shouldn't criticise people's incomings until we know what their outgoings are.
Sorry Brightness, but if you don't have the income, don't start the outcome!
I know all about the property ladder stuff etc, but getting tax-credit because you wanted to get on the property ladder, so you get a big mortgage and the rest of us (most not on the property ladder) are paying your tax credit?????

I do get your drift, your example just made toes cringe.

splinter said:
I think there is a one off payment of about £350 for earners up to£40,000.
If she is his partner as opposed to his wife they could claim child tax credits because they wouldn't be getting married allowance.Or their circimstances changed from their originial claim and the payments stayed the same ,which has affected over a third of claimants

Married allowance? That disappeared years ago.

I think there are two parts to the tax credits, one is an income means tested one, that supplements wages and the other is to replace 'married man's', so instead of getting it in your wages you get it from the government, could be wrong, but thats how I understand it!

The overpayment system is how Housing Benefit has been working for years, fortunately I stopped claiming HB in 2001, in 2005 they wrote to me saying I been overpaid and owed £121, I queried it and they replied to my letter last week - 12 months later!!!!

The system is cr@p!

WoodYouLike said:
Brightness said:
Sorry Brightness, but if you don't have the income, don't start the outcome!
I know all about the property ladder stuff etc, but getting tax-credit because you wanted to get on the property ladder, so you get a big mortgage and the rest of us (most not on the property ladder) are paying your tax credit?????

I do get your drift, your example just made toes cringe.

Don't worry WoodYouLike, you're not paying my tax credit :LOL: We do get a tax credit but it's the one that replaces the married man's allowance. My hubby's tax suddenly went up dramatically & I was awarded £44 a month so we rang the tax office to query it.

We were told that the increase in his tax is equal to the amount I would be getting every month. Well what a load of Bo!!ocks - since when has £44 been equal to £150???? We are over £100 a month worse off than we were before this 'tax credit' system started.

It's not family tax credit btw, it's a child tax credit or something.

We do have a mortgage but no one pays it for us - hubby works hard and earns a living and pays it out of that :LOL:

I'm sure he does Brightness :LOL: :LOL:
I just didn' get the high mortgage = tax credit comparison, that's all.

Sponsored Links
Back