TBOE radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s been a few years since I last posted, I hope all the helpful advice is still available

Following a house move a now have TBOE radiators. The house is a 1990’s build with an 18 month old boiler. It looks like the inlet pipe to most radiators has been extended at some point for a top inlet.
The problem is the radiators don’t heat up evenly. The top gets hot quickly but the bottom stays cold- the picture is of one and tries to explain.

Is this caused by:
1) too high/ low flow of water
2) sludge
3) some other internal flow restriction- I’ve read about rubber bungs
4) something else....

I am about to replace one so will have the system drained down. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• F20D7DCD-E41D-45DA-9E0E-51D4254D4975.jpeg
    F20D7DCD-E41D-45DA-9E0E-51D4254D4975.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 132
Sponsored Links
Nothing really wrong there, TBOE will always be hotter at the top than the bottom by design. Over time the rad should even out as the heat permeates and the room warms up.
TBOE are also more sensitive to correct balancing.

Thanks @Madrab. Problem is the blue bit is still cold an hour or two after switching the heating on. There are a couple of radiators the normal way (BBOE?) that heat up without issue.
Should shorten the piping and move the valves or just spend the time balancing?

I would say check the flow flow/balancing first, from the looks of it the flow is too high so the water isn't getting a chance to percolate around the rad before heading out the return. Wind down the lockshield on the left till closed then wind open half a turn and check, then another and repeat, keep doing that and see if it will even out.

Sponsored Links
Turns out I have a mix of TBOE and BTOE! The radiators in the lounge and the bedroom are both fed through the lockshield at the bottom and out through the TRV at the top! No wonder the bottom stays cold

fed through the lockshield at the bottom and out through the TRV at the top

They've been piped the wrong way then. Albeit the trv/lockshield will probably be bi-driectional, if you have TBOE then the flow must be in through the TRV at the top for the rad to function properly.

If the flow is in through the bottom valve and return out through the top then no amount of balancing the rad will make it work efficiently, as no matter what, the hot flow will always rise to the top and then some will exit through the return before it can permeate to the rest of the rad.

It either has to be changed so it is (B)BOE or the flow needs to be changed to the top valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back