Teach sacked for showing some kids a good time.

My initial reaction, on hearing this story, was also of disbelief. I was listening to the story on the radio with a friend who, as it happens is also a CDT teacher.
At the end of the report, I retracted my "disbelief" after hearing that the teacher a) continued with his sledging activity against colleagues advice, and b) lied to the headteacher afterwards, when discussing the incident.

My friends reaction was very much in support of the action taken on similar and additional grounds.
1) If the teacher wanted to demonstrate sledging techniques and was unable to find a similar but different way to illustrate his point, especially after receiving advice, then he's not much of a teacher.
2) It would not have been that important in the syllabus anyway, especially against colleagues advice.
3)) if he lied to the headteacher, then he must have been aware that there was something he felt he needed to hide.

Edit: Another point, he had not received or sought prior parental approval for the activity. As was suggested to me, it would have been seen as an extra-curricular activity requiring parental approval.

If he had just apologised, recognised that he hadn't acted with due dilligence he would have walked away with a slapped wrist.

Sponsored Links
My initial reaction, on hearing this story, was also of disbelief. I was listening to the story on the radio with a friend who, as it happens is also a CDT teacher.
At the end of the report, I retracted my "disbelief" after hearing that the teacher a) continued with his sledging activity against colleagues advice, and b) lied to the headteacher afterwards, when discussing the incident.

My friends reaction was very much in support of the action taken on similar and additional grounds.
1) If the teacher wanted to demonstrate sledging techniques and was unable to find a similar but different way to illustrate his point, especially after receiving advice, then he's not much of a teacher.
2) It would not have been that important in the syllabus anyway, especially against colleagues advice.
3)) if he lied to the headteacher, then he must have been aware that there was something he felt he needed to hide.

Edit: Another point, he had not received or sought prior parental approval for the activity. As was suggested to me, it would have been seen as an extra-curricular activity requiring parental approval.

If he had just apologised, recognised that he hadn't acted with due dilligence he would have walked away with a slapped wrist.

The teacher was demonstrating the design characteristics of the classic sled, not a more modern plastic version? And to clarify the design, it has to be demonstrated. Like I say, the D/T department had a moped, that all the pupils were allowed to ride, I fell off, no harm done, it's just h&s gone wrong.

Next thing will be climbing frames are banned (OH I don't see any these days), and who reported it to the press?

OK, I made a boo-boo....
But there were no warnings about digging up an old thread...

Sorry!

Sponsored Links
See bloomers goes this far back, red herring2 in those days. Another name he got banned under.

Sounds a fun thing to do but the teacher lied to the head and disobeyed instructions, so dismissal was deserved.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Back