Teach sacked for showing some kids a good time.

Sponsored Links
Saw this on the Teletext at lunch time. In true 'Meldrew' style, I said to myself ''I don't believe it!''

Then I came to my senses, and realised that this is the state that The UK has got itself into in the 21st century. A cowed population, run by power-crazy mamby-pamby little jobsworths.

Such a simple innocent action like a teacher letting 2 pupils go on a sledge wouldn't have provoked the slightest interest or comment when I was at school (1970-84). Fast-forward to 2011, and even though we have a government who you might imagine would introduce a little more common sense than the loony-lefties, letting pupils on a sledge is a sacking offence for a teacher.

In the name of sanity.............. (V. Meldrew)

The irony is that it's the kids that have lost what I deduce was a decent teacher, but of course it's been done for their own good. :rolleyes:

All the best teachers at my school were fired. We had a really good German teacher, who got fired for his harsh discipline techniques, I think he slammed a kid up against a wall by the collar and shouted at him, for giving backchat.
The kid told his mum, mum complained to the head.
Teacher was fired. He was replaced with a young German woman who was a pushover and couldn't control the class, at which point I stopped learning.

Another one was fired for letting us make and fly kites out on the school field, when he was supposed to be standing in for a maths lesson. :(

Such a paltry misdemeanor - I can't help but wonder if someone in management wasn't looking for an excuse to 'put the knife in'.

Sponsored Links
Saw this on the Teletext at lunch time. In true 'Meldrew' style, I said to myself ''I don't believe it!''

when I was at school (1970-84). In the name of sanity.............. (V. Meldrew)
You`re not old enough to be a Meldrew . I don`t Bloooodeeeeey Believe it . I **left** school in 1970 . :rolleyes:

these days its just gone from bad to worse. teachers have no right over the kids, they cant even give hugs or even take a kids earrings out for a p.e lesson how stupid is that? this has not helped our society at all we have kids now whom arent even respectful towards their teachers in my time we wouldnt even say boo

when I was at school (1970-84). In the name of sanity.............. (V. Meldrew)
You`re not old enough to be a Meldrew . I don`t Bloooodeeeeey Believe it . I **left** school in 1970 . :rolleyes:

I defer to you, your senior Meldrewness. ;)

V. Meldrew Jnr.

There are ways and means of making kids do what they should ;)
but sometimes the task is nigh on impossible. For instance, if a child is a Jehovah's Witness, the parents forbid any intervention unless decided upon or administered by their own kind. So, we immediately apply for a ward of court which may, or may not, be a life saver. Very difficult if you are on a school trip!
Afterwards we think - Jeez is this really worth it?
John :)

but sometimes the task is nigh on impossible. For instance, if a child is a Jehovah's Witness, the parents forbid any intervention unless decided upon or administered by their own kind. So, we immediately apply for a ward of court which may, or may not, be a life saver. Very difficult if you are on a school trip!
If you're thinking such blasphemous thoughts as "Jeez", hten maybe the Jehovah's Witness parents have a point ;)

The committee ruled he can remain a teacher and his reprimand will be removed after two years.

A spokesperson for Cefn Hengoed Community School said the purpose of the hearing had been to consider Mr Tremelling's professional registration and not to question the governing body's decision to dismiss him.

"Mr Tremelling has received a reprimand that will stay on his record for two years and the school would now like to draw a line under this long-standing matter," said the spokesperson.

"Clearly the decision to dismiss Mr Tremelling was the right one given the circumstances and his disciplinary record."

That's an interesting statement. So according to the 'spokesperson' for the school, the purpose of the hearing was to 'consider Mr Tremelling's professional registration and not to question the governing body's decision to dismiss him.' But the committee CAN and DID rule that 'he can remain a teacher'. So if the committee did not/cannot rule on whether the sacking of a teacher is right/wrong then if I were Mr Tremelling, my next course of action would be to take the case to an Industrial Tribunal. The Tribunal can and will decide whether the sacking was lawful or not. Indeed if it was unlawful (and I'd argue that on the basis of the information available to us, that it seems to have been an over reaction to sack him), then Mr Tremelling should not only be reinstated but also compensated for loss of earnings.

My next question is why did this take so long to be resolved? But then it's a 'Local Authority' so that answers that question! :rolleyes:

I'm also drawn to the final statement made by the school's spokesperson:

"Clearly the decision to dismiss Mr Tremelling was the right one given the circumstances and his disciplinary record."
Once again, if the committee did not/cannot comment and/or make judgement on the decision to sack Mr Tremelling then this needs to go to Tribunal to decide if the decision was indeed 'clearly' right. But I'm interested as to why the spokesperson made reference to Mr Tremelling's 'disciplinary record'. Is there something here we're not being told about Mr Tremelling's disciplinary record? If he has a 'clean' record then once again, (if it were me), I'd be insisting that an Employment Tribunal make judgement on that statement. I'd certainly take it as defamatory if I had a clean employment record and an official spokesperson made public references to the fact that it may not be and that it had a bearing on the decision to terminate my employment.

I'm inclined to think there's been a 'witch hunt' here (based on the information available), and that last statement has lead me to that thinking. If Mr Tremelling's disciplinary record is not exemplary then I suspect that the school perhaps saw this as the 'final straw' and/or their chance to 'get rid' of Mr Tremelling. Unless this goes to Tribunal (and we are made aware of the outcome), then we'll never really know what the 'facts' are.

If you're thinking such blasphemous thoughts as "Jeez", then maybe the Jehovah's Witness parents have a point ;)
I do the blasphemy round here thank you! :cool:

I stopped reading the story and gave a big sigh when I got to the line ".... failed to carry out the necessary risk assessments"

To think that a solitary bit of paper, where anyone can put a tick in either box and give whatever judgement they like as long as its signed and dated, could make the difference between a safe or unsafe slide down a hill, and keeping or losing a job.

And these dipsticks are in charge of kids' education!

I think it's about time the Government appointed some top Lord to look at the barmy H&S culture implemented by idiots.

When I was at school, we got to ride a moped across the schoolyard, obvioulsy I fell off, but seemed to be part of the D/T department. (I've never been able to ride a motorbike properly since, even owning 3 motorbikes)..

But introducing a sled? Blimey!

I recall - grinding a hammer into a grinder, and getting several weeks detention, but the sparks were cool, when the teacher left the room, but caught.

Sitting on the Autosaw, to make it saw quicker, at the risk of the blade snapping and killing me.

Squishing pennies in the vices in woodwork, at the risk of them flying off, and blinding us?

No wonder I eventually ended up doing cookery, and errr...sewing...? Rejected from the machine shop, apart from cleaning the machines, when they were safely turned OFF.

I think when I left school, I owed 2.5 years of detention.

Sponsored Links
Back