teak furniture, danish oil etc, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have some garden furniture that is proper teak and I have read about different oils you should use to look after it and Danish oil seems to be far better than the rest from what I read but is very expensive.

I have read so much now that I am a bit lost can anybody advise me whether to get the Danish oil etc? I know you can buy teak oil but it seems Danish oil is supposed to be much better for some reason and therefore I suppose better value for the job intended.

Any advice/guidance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Danish oil dries quicker, but if you are going to leave then to dry for a day or so before sitting on them in your white dress it shouldn't matter. You can rub them with your hand to check if dry. Oil well at the end of the year before putting away, and a few times during the summer.

Thanks JohnD, so are you saying Danish is definitely the best one to get for keeping the wood in good condition and therefore worth paying the extra for?

No, I was thinking that I'd buy the cheaper one, and use it often. I think of Danish as stuff you'd polish the coffee table with.

I started using Linseed oil last year on some outside joinery, it is very slow to dry so probably not suitable for seats, and has a pleasant odour, but is very cheap. Seems to give good protection, so far.

Sponsored Links
Rustins who make Danish oil actually make a version for external use that have UV filter and a biocide to help stop mould, I've used it on outside oak with quite good results. I tend to only use the danish oil for internal work, it's called "Clear Garden Furniture Oil" bad news is thats its about "£1 more per litre than danish

Also don't leave excess oil on the surface for more than 10mins otherwise you will get a stick mess

JAson

Tung oil would be better than linseed oil, linseed is a single conjugated molecule where tung is a double. I will dig out a link and add it later. Danish oil is not really the thing to use outside IMO, (then I wouldn't bother inside either . ;) )

Here is the link.

I got the description wrong, linseed is a non-congugated oil :oops:

oilman said:
linseed is a single conjugated molecule

ah yes, I think I saw some of them sticking to the brush :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back