teak garden furniture - Cuprinol Stay New

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a teak garden table and chairs from Homebase last summer. On advice from Cuprinol I used their new and expensive Stay New Wax enriched alternative to teak oil. Following instructions I applied 3 coats of what appears to be an acrylic varnish.

Before the end of teh summer the finish had already started to breakdown allowing black mold and greying of the underlying wood. It has been a total disaster and I would have been better leaving the teak unfinished. Has anyone had similar problems?

Sponsored Links
When I moved into my last house 9 years ago the previous owners left a teak garden seat with the same problem the fix is to sand it back to the grain and apply teak oil which can now be got in a spray I still have the seat and 15min at the start of each season is all it needs to look like new

As well as moaning to Cuprinol - dont sand it - find your loacal friendly boat chandlers or search online and get some stuff they clean the teak decks with - no sanding - maybe a scrub with scotchbrite - good stuff. Then apply your next finish (if you do)

Sponsored Links
I have sanded mine in the past :cry: tedious hard work and not worth the effort :LOL:

I get one of my lads to pressure wash them now - he has great fun and the jobs not bad...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back