tear in underfelt.

T

thatbloke

just my bloomin luck , moving materials around and accidentally tore a rip in the roofing felt (i dont have a ceiling up yet) , the roof isnt leaking but can i repair this just in case it ever does?

Sponsored Links
i had a good read through that Freddy but lost it when people started slagging each other off. :D
so , taping it isnt an option then? its a counter battened roof. ive just put the bloomin thing on , dont really want to strip it all off again.

Its worth pulling a few tiles out and patching it up , probably only an hours work then at least you have peace of mind .

Sponsored Links
are cedar shingles easy to take out to patch up the felt?

I don`t think so :confused: aren`t they nailed like slates . What is the material of the " felt " is it some modern breathing fabric or what ;)

you can take them out just like slates with a ripper. the nails are very fine and will shear off.

there are two little nails in each shingle but i really cant see them sheering before the shingle splits.
the felt is a breathable fabric. i have access to the roof from below and was thinking that a slice of fabric fed down into the eaves protection layer at the bottom then held in place with some felt adhesive would do so long as it sagged a bit in the middle although my insulation (cellotex) will be right up against the felt between the rafters.
or , i could use this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMpZqrOPlvE :eek:

Indeed there are two nails in each shingle, Provided the correct nails have been used they will come out exactly as I said. If you damage a shingle just put another in..

The insulation should not be tight to the underlay....

nice video!

The insulation should not be tight to the underlay....

nice video!
really? ive counter battened and pulled the felt quite tight. i was under the impression that if i did this i could fill the gap between the rafters with cellotex, its a warm roof on a lean-to. i will be lath and plastering straight onto the rafters (or using plasterboard if i cant make lath and plaster meet regs) which are 150 x 50 , 150 mil cellotex is the recommended minimum for this kind of roof , apparently.

ive counter battened and pulled the felt quite tight
Breathable membrane should be fitted with a bit of sag betwixt rafters.

was under the impression that if i did this i could fill the gap between the rafters with cellotex,
You should leave an air gap between the underside of the felt and the top of the insulation.

As stated, what is considered a 'warm roof' is a roof whereby the insulation sits wholly above the rafters.

The way you are doing it will require two fittings of insulation. 100mm betwixt the rafters (thus leaving a 50mm air gap above) and 50mm across the rafters internally prior to fitting the plasterboard.

Don't forget to ensure v.p.l. continuity.

ah , see i was told that if its counter battened then the felt could be tighter and draping wouldn't be necessary or i could get away with minimal draping, obviously the counter battens will allow any water flow to get down to the gutter uninterrupted , this way i can insulate right up to the felt.
perhaps i am getting warm and cold roofs mixed up?
i will hopefully be using lath rather than pb.
whats v.p.l. continuity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back