Replace or refix roof underfelt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s semi with an unconverted loft that I use for storage. The floor is insulated and boarded and the inside of the roof is covered with some sort of heavy duty, black fabric material - is this underfelt? (see pics). The fabric is held in place with felt nails into the rafters. In recent years, the material has started coming loose and tear under it's own weight as it comes down. I am minded to either replace it or to try and better fix it to the rafters.

Is there now a better product that I can use to replace the bits that have come down, or should I persist in re-fixing this material back up?
If I re-fix it, is there an alternative to felt nails that is more likely to hold it up?

Thanks

Gavin

Attachments

• Roof1.jpg
    Roof1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • Roof2.jpg
    Roof2.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
That's type 1f tar felt. Probably been fitted to stop dust and debris coming into the loft.
You can use breather membrane stapled to the rafters starting from the ridge and work down.

Thanks Alastair

Any recommendations for breather membrane? Would Tyvek be suitable?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back