Tear my floorboards up to find a leak?! I should coco!...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Puma 80e Combi-Boiler and have recently been experiencing rapid loss of pressure (in the sapce of about 30 minutes!).

I got a plumber round and he said that the leak is most likely under my original floorboards and that I need to rip them all up to find it.

Surely there must be another way?...

What about thermal-imaging?...

Help!...

Sponsored Links
Great idea! Or pump it up with air and put your ear to the carpet. Or put a very long micro optic thingie inside the pipes. How about a trained tadpole to go and look. Or maybe have the floor up!
Assume you checked the prv.

YOu'll probably have to buy new boiler isolation valves cos the old ones will leak, but then you should be able to tell if the water loss is in the boiler or outside it. Most plumbers will have a water testing pump which shows leaks v quickly - you'd put it on each side of the valves (boiler off) and see.
Thermal imaging isn't so daft. I have a couple of infra red thermometers. I have used one to find a leak under a concrete floor.

Sponsored Links
I dont suppose your "average plumber" can justify £1000.00 on a thermal imaging camera, see here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back