Leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I know the answer to this but...
Every 3 or 4 weeks my boiler doesn’t come on. The error message tells me that he water level is low. I top it up and it’s fine again. Combi boiler bye the way.

I presume I have a leak somewhere. Is there an easy way to find a leak without ripping floorboards up etc? Or just leave it until it makes itself obvious.

Sponsored Links
1. Every time you top up you introduce fresh water with dissolved oxygen into the system. This will dilute the inhibitor, and, in time, rust the radiators from the inside out.
2. The leak will either be within the boiler or in the radiator / underfloor heating / hot water system. You'd be very unlucky to have both sides leaking.
3. Determine which side the leak is as follows:
3a. Let the system go cold and top the pressure up to the normal (between 1.0 and 1.5 bar). Make a note of the pressure as accurately as you can and turn the boiler off.
3b. Turn off the isolation valves for flow and return under boiler. See manual for which is which. Note that there is a possibility the valves may leak after being used. Shouldn't, and its fairly rare, but it does happen.
3c. Leave for twenty four hours, or longer if feasible.
3d. Check the pressure. If its the same, then any leak is likely to be outside the boiler. If its gone down, the problem is inside the boiler.
3e. Open the isolation valves, and re-check the pressure. If it falls, its a pretty good indication that you have a leak somewhere in the radiator / underfloor / hot water systems.
4. If the leak is outside the boiler:
4a. Try tying a bow of tissue / toiler paper on the pipes just under each radiator valve. A very slight leak might not be visible, but may be enough to make the paper go soggy and droop.
4b. If that doesn't work, you may need a leak detection service. They are generally expensive, and you pay for their time, not by results.
5. If the leak is inside the boiler you will need a gas safe registered engineer. Could be:
5a. Simple, like the pressure relief valve passing or a damaged expansion vessel. See if the pressure relief pipe is dripping. (Copper pipe, outside, end turned back to wall).
5b. More complex with a leak from the heat exchanger(s).

The above supposes a gas boiler with a sealed heating system. Could be combi, system or open vent boiler (running a sealed system).

when cold set the boiler pressure to 1.5 Bar, turn the heating on and half an hour later check the pressure if its near 3 bar you have an expansion problem

Sponsored Links
3b. Turn off the isolation valves for flow and return under boiler. . Note that there is a possibility the valves may leak after being used. Shouldn't, and its fairly rare, but it does happen.

Not rare at all, some are guaranteed to leak, and replacements can be VERY expensive. OP: Post the make, model and approximate age, and someone will tell you the likelihood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back