teba gas oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a teba gas oven that is really hard to light/goes out. The ignition isn't working anymore - so we use one of those lighter things. You hold the knob in for a 20s or so and you sometimes can get the oven to stay lit. :) But when you close the door it goes out. :( If you leave the door open for a while and then close it sometimes it stays in. Alternatively opening and closing the door while holding the knob in also sometimes works. Only once or twice has it gone out once lit and the door is closed. The integral grill also doesn't work -it will light but goes out after a few minutes(it has never worked since we have had it!).
The gas goes off -so it isn't really worrying but it is very annoying. :mad:
I did call an engineer -but he told me you can't get the parts for these anymore and it probably wouldn't be cost effective to get it fixed. I should just get a new one... :rolleyes:
I'm looking to redo my kitchen in the next 6 months -when I'll get an integral electric oven..so I'm reluctant to get a new one.
Also I think it might be something really simple....any advice?

Sponsored Links
I think if there was something really simple you could do then the engineer would have done it. Sorry. :)

It is simple. The thermocouple on these machines was terrible. Replacement of these would probably sort it.

Thanks for the replies...
I think if there was something really simple you could do then the engineer would have done it. Sorry.
Sorry I didn't make it clear...the engineer didn't come to look at it I just spoke to him on the phone...and then he offered to
sell me a reconditioned one ...always makes me suspicious...

Sleepyhead -do you know where I could get a new thermocouple and approx how much they are? (I know Teba are no more...) I think replacing it may be out of my league (?) ...but if I could get one or at least source one it may be easier to get someone to replace it for me
Thanks
Lucy

Sponsored Links
If you look into your grill you'll see the thermocouple sits in the flame (same in the oven). Make sure that the end is in the hottest part of the flame (yellow rather than blue). It's easily bent out of place. You'll probably find it then works ok. (Till it moves again).
Same with the oven.
Universal thermocouple should be available from a corgi registered repairer although they should be able to source the correct one.

Thanks for that sleepyhead...sorry for not answering straight away -wanted to give it a few tries before I did...
I wriggled the thermocouple a bit and it seems to have worked....(fingers crossed)-hopefully it will now last until I get my kitchen sorted out ...
Thanks again -what a cool site :D :D :D .., Lucy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back