Technical advice please re fridge/freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My integral fridge has a small built in freezer at the top. The freezer door handle broke and the door would not shut properly. An engineer came out but brought the wrong part. He returned three weeks later, replaced the freezer door and advised that we defrosted the fridge as ice had formed - no doubt due to the fridge having freezer cold air leaking into it for several weeks.
However after defrosting , when we switched the appliance on again the fridge no longer works.
The engineer returned today and claims that there is no gas in the fridge and that any leak is purely coincidental and nothing to do with the malfunctioning door and fluctuating internal temperatures.
If the thermostat was running constantly to try to regulate the fridge temperature, could this have damaged the compressor and caused the gas to escape? The engineer says not - but he would say that wouldn't he!

I'm hoping someone could advise before I just accept that it was a coincidence and buy a new fridge.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back